Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Feeding the Ducks

This past weekend I realized we had some old frozen hamburger buns in the freezer that we weren't going to eat so I decided to take Bailey over to the lake to feed the ducks. We've never tried feeding the ducks before so I was interested to see whether she would feed them herself or simply watch me do it. We started off with me holding Bailey and letting her throw food to them from the safety of my arms. Surprisingly, when I asked her after only a few minutes if she wanted down she said yes! We made it through with no incidents or newly embedded fears of quacking animals so I the trip was definitely a success!


Here come the ducks! You'll notice that this white duck (we'll call him Bob) seems to be in almost every picture. That's because he had no qualms about letting us know he was hungry and wanted food.

Here, Bob was employing his strategy of getting as close to Bailey and the food as he possibly could to try and take the food out of her hands. He also tried a few sneak attacks from behind. Luckily, I'm smarter and quicker than Bob so I was able to prevent him from nipping her hand.


Bailey smiling for the camera with, guess who...good ol' Bob not far behind.



Bailey and Bob just hangin out. Bailey was out of bread at this point, but Bob stuck close by just in case.


Bailey waving bye to all the ducks once they finally gave up on the possibility of more bread.


Here are some baby ducklings that we tried to feed. We decided it would be in their best interests to stop b/c they got trampled by all the other bigger ducks every time a piece of bread landed near them. And, yes, that's Bob in the background.

No comments: